Gene Kangas (1944-)
Born in Fairport Harbor, Ohio, Kangas received a B.F. A. from Miami University of Ohio (1966) and a M.F.A. from Bowling Green State University (1968). Kangas joined the faculty of Cleveland State in 1971. He began his artistic career working in glass and turned to metal sculpture, including large public art commissions in the 1980s. His works have been widely exhibited throughout the U.S. He frequently exhibited in the Cleveland May Show, winning first prize in sculpture in 1975. His sculptures are permanently installed at the Cuyahoga County Justice Center and the Frank J. Lausche State Office Building in downtown Cleveland. Snow Fence (1981), the first sculpture acquired by the Putnam Collection includes recognizable silhouettes of human figures and animals, reflecting Kangas’s life-long interest in American Folk Art and his exploration of the relationship between craft and art.
Work in the collection:
1 Snow Fence, 1980/81
Euclid Avenue, Claude Foster Park, [1981.1]